Completed in 1598, St. John's College library was the first college library to innovate with the placement of desks and pew-like seats in between the stacks of the books. The library ceiling harkens back to its Tudor origins. On display during our visit was the 2nd edition of Caxton's Canterbury Tales. This printed book is rare in that it is the only surviving copy with colored woodcuts from the second edition.
Behind the College is a lovely garden. We didn't let the constant rain keep us from a brief walk.